christmas cookies from around the world

susan of food blogga is having a 'christmas cookies from around the world' event that i mentioned in the previous post, and i have decided to switch my cookie! i was trying to make one of my favorites, 'big soft ginger cookies', but i was having a bit of trouble with them coming out properly. so, even as i was stubbornly determined to make them work, i got kind of sick of eating them, and couldn't really face another batch! so i am using another of my favorites as a 'fall back cookie'.

these cookies are called "pummies", and they are from a cookbook called 'food writers favorites'. (it is shown in the previous post as well) this book has lots of great cookie recipes, and it turns up at thrift stores and garage sales pretty often, so if you see one, pick it up and buy it! another of my favorite cookies in this book is a cookie that tastes a little like chai tea smells, and i love those too!

the "pummies" cookie recipe actually has three different ways to flavor the cookies, so if you get bored one way (or just prefer them with out chocolate, or raisins and nuts) you can make them a little differently.


they actually are what they sound like, they have pumpkin in them, and these particular ones pictured have chocolate chips and rum flavoring. they come out very soft and cake-like, and i love the combination of flavors of pumpkin with chocolate.

so, here is the recipe for "pummies"

1/2 cup margarine or butter at room temperature
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup cooked or canned pumpkin
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

ONE of the following groups of ingredients:

2 teaspoons rum flavoring
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
OR:
2 teaspoons maple flavoring
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger
OR:
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup raisins
1/4 cup coarsely chopped nuts

in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat margarine, brown sugar and granulated sugar. stir in egg and pumpkin. add rum flavoring or maple flavoring, if using.

mix flour with baking soda and salt. add lemon zest or pumpkin pie spice, if using. add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, stirring until well mixed. stir in chocolate chips, ginger, or raisins and nuts, if using.

drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets. bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for 15 minutes, or until cookies are firm. remove from baking sheets immediately, and allow to cool completely before serving. (i cannot ever wait this long!) the recipe says it makes about 5 dozen, but i usually only get about a little over three dozen.

Comments

tlchang said…
Those sound yummy. I love the various combinations.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Hi Cindy,

What do I love better: the delightful name or the delicious add-ins? Both! Thanks so much submitting them to my event. They are just my kind of cookie. Cheers, Susan
Betty said…
Merry Christmas Cindy! Those cookies look good!
B-Sol said…
are you familiar with pfeffernesse? My uncle is crazy about it, and breaks it out every Christmas.
rochambeau said…
Dear Cindy,
Coco and I thank you for stopping by.
Happy New Year!! Hope you had a happy holiday too!
In case I haven't said it before,
You are such a great designer and talented seamstress!! I admire your work greatly!

Constance
eatme_delicious said…
What a cute name for a cookie! I'd love to try them with white chocolate.
Lost HIghway said…
oh I'm so hungry for a pumpkin cookie now. pummies look awesome! I'm going to beg my wife to make them because if I tried I'd burn down the house. thanks for posting on my b-movie blog by the way. Retroman DC has spoken.

Popular Posts