Hurricane Ian


What I have been up to lately. Well, I did retire in June from my job where I had been for 11 years. I thought I would be able to do all the things I didn't have time for before. It hasn't worked out that way so far.  I went to Washington to try to help clean out my folk's estate. I hope to never have to do that again and I plan to downsize dramatically so my kids do not have to go through that. 


We evacuated from our first hurricane since we have been here.  That was interesting. It was coming directly to us in the Tampa area, and we decided to drive across to Jupiter in the eastern part of Florida which seemed safer.  Especially since we are in a manufactured home. Ian hit farther south than expected so our place was spared. I guess you could say we still have not really experienced our first hurricane, thankfully. These beach pictures are the beach near where we evacuated to the day after. 


It looked beautiful. I picked up lots of shells.  I love collecting shells.  I kind of expected there to be a lot more debris on the beach from the storm. Even on that side, far from the hardest hit part of Florida we had three tornado warnings the first night we were there.


Now that the temperatures have started to cool from upper 90s every day, I wanted to start cooking more and baking bread again.  I really did enjoy baking when I was home during the pandemic. Well, until we couldn't find flour for a while! 

Today I made these calzones from an old recipe I cut out of a Sunset magazine in the 70s or 80s. It took all morning, but I enjoyed the chopping of the ingredients and the mixing and kneading the bread. 


So here was lunch for today and lunch for tomorrow too. I was happy with the results. Needed more cheese in my opinion though. Maybe twice as much next time.

Comments

Popular Posts